Saturday, September 25, 2010

In Defense of Name-Calling

Yesterday I tweeted this:  “Which one of you pseudo Mensa teabaggers wants to tell Sherman Alexie that you’re going to take your country back?”  Almost immediately I received a response from what sounded like a reasonable woman saying she keeps an open mind, doesn’t think Sherman’s book should be banned, and by the way, Chris, why the name calling?

It sounded like a legitimate question from a legitimately concerned person, that I could not answer in a 47-word tweet.  So I directed her here.

First, a disclaimer.  I didn’t say it because Sherman’s stunningly accomplished novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, gets challenged and banned in “conservative” communities with chilling regularity because of realistic language, a hilarious masturbation scene and a mirthfully scathing indictment of the difficulties of a young outsider finding his way through institutional racism.  I said it because Sherman is a member of the only group in our country who can legitimately lay claim to taking their country back.

I admit using the term pseudo Mensa teabaggers is indeed name-calling. I admit I meant it to be.  I did it because the tea party is better at name-calling than anyone in the business, and they do it without actually using the names.  They carry posters of our president with a Hitler moustache, or looking like a monkey.  (And yes, I know there were plenty of pictures of W looking like a monkey, and those were also inappropriate, but anyone who doesn’t know the racial aspect of doing that to a black man as opposed to doing it to a white man, has been listening to way too much Dr. Laura.)  They have so many code words for folks of different races or (avowed) sexual preferences or political beliefs than their own, they could publish an alternative thesaurus that would end up on the NY Times bestseller list.   

But my name-calling was tongue in cheek; throwaway.  My point was that, whether my Twitter follower considers herself a part of it or not, she is represented by “leaders” who are simply not very smart, in the sense of having information or even wanting information.  Sarah Palin will say anything.  Well, almost anything.  She won’t say anything of substance, backed by fact and she won’t put herself in the position of being challenged by anyone to the left of Fox Entertainment.  Glen Beck is literally too dumb to insult, to paraphrase a line from “The Hangover.”  Those two, along with Jim Demint, Michelle Bachman and Dick Armey are the daily faces of the tea party.  Twitter lady, they represent you. As levelheaded as you might be, if you decide you are a member of that group, that is your identity.   And if you are a Republican in this country, they are the folks dragging you to the right.  They are not you.  They are the folks dragging you to the right.

I’m in Chicago today, hosting the American Library Association’s Great Chicago Readout, kicking off our celebration of Banned Books Week with authors of some of the top ten banned books of 2010.  I look over the list of reasons for the challenges and bannings: religious perspective, homosexual content, sexual content, offensive language, suicide.  Human things.  Things the people who want to “take our country back” don’t want kids to talk about; human things the “conservative right” doesn’t think should be part of human education.  Wow.

If I’m speaking to any tea party members today it will be saying “excuse me” as I politely move through their picket line.  (That’s facetious; it’s a little cloudy and windy in Chicago today, too inclimate for them to come out and stand up for their “Christian” principles.  That’s facetious, too.)

But see, it’s those “Christian” principals I have such an issue with, because those principles are anti-freedom and it ain’t s’posed to be that way.  There will be a lot of Christians in the audience and they don’t need quotation marks around their name because many of them will also be true patriots.  They understand the reason the founders used specific language in the Constitution to separate church and state.  They understand the complexity – and the intimacy – of spiritual belief, and know why it is personal and not to be included in the making of democratic law for all men and women.  They understand equality.

The Glen Becks and Sarah Palins of the world are not Christians; they’re “Christians.”  They hide behind bastardized versions of scripture to make money and get cheap attention and gather a following of people who don’t want to take the time to truly understand the complexity of freedom.  They’re a bad reality show.  My hope – and my belief – is that they’ll have a relatively short shelf life.  It’s fun to be nasty and mean and dismissive toward people who are not like you, but eventually the thrill of that meanness gets old and more and more of your followers discover you aren’t there for them – you’re there for your own celebrity.  Eventually they’ll walk away and you’ll be crying like a third grader who’s best friend just found a new best friend.

Since September 11, 2001 I’ve heard over and over, in reference to our two wars, “Freedom isn’t free.”  That’s not just true about war.  It’s also true about everyday life in a real democracy.  If you don’t have the courage to bring out the tough issues, debate and explore and learn, and invite your free countrymen to do the same, then maybe you don’t have the heart to live in a free country.  You can continue to live here, however, because it is a free country, where you can choose to be lazy and under-informed and hold your discussions in sound bites with your like-minded friends. 

My conservative father went to war to be sure you could do that.  (My conservative father would also have run a nail through his eye before allowing children to be barred from information that would make them understand their world, and he was a school board member from the time my older brother entered the first grade until my younger sister graduated from high school.He also went to war for my right to call you names when I’m feeling tired and lazy and just want the cheap, good feeling one gets doing just that.

8 comments:

  1. Should I tell you that I couldn't agree more, or do you already know?

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, I honestly become a bigger fan of you every day. Keep it up. The more people you inspire, the better chance we'll all have of making this country reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It’s fun to be nasty and mean and dismissive toward people who are not like you, but eventually the thrill of that meanness gets old"

    Well, yes...unless you're Ann Coulter, in which case it's the only vile trick pony you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris! A friend of mine heard you recently (pretty sure it was at Hiram College), with a group of librarians/librarian students and was blown away by your presentation, and you. Because she knows I love YA lit. and had mentioned how much I enjoyed "Running Loose," she dropped by and gave me the best blow-by-blow she could. Bottom line, we both think you are one cool dude.

    The main reason I tracked you down was to tell you that I'm reading "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes" and am completely amazed by your ability to tell a story. As a writer, I am always using books as learning tools (duh, of course) and put sticky tabs at spots that make me laugh or show me who a character is, or are simply great writing! By page 16, there are 13 such tabs in this book (and that's been with some holding back)!!

    Anyway, just wanted to tell you this and say thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will probably try to tell you this again, somewhere else, because I am just now seeing how very old this post is, and you will probably never see my comment. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your piece. It was so easy to read. And the main point was clear to the reader. You made it so much more entertaining with the use of your refreshing humor. Also i do love your use of words. They describe your point vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I felt like it was an interesting approach to the topic; usually people don't defend name-calling. Your piece was engaging, making it very enjoyable to read. I like the casual tone of the piece because it shows your true opinion on controversial topics, like Glen Beck and Sarah Palin being "Christian". Your humorous ending summed up the piece nicely, ending it with a lighter tone.

    ReplyDelete